Dragons, Iron Throne and prophecies.
Game of Thrones is back! Well technically it’s ”House of the Dragon” now, but you know…it has Targaryen and Dragon so…
The new HBO show ”House of the Dragon” is taking us right back into the world build by awards winning author George R.R Martin. A world that the fandom left bitter, not understanding the direction taken by the TV adaption during the last seasons.
This time around though, Martin himself, is assisting in the show’s production. While this most certainly does not guaranty a “happy ending”, we trust that we can get a show of a certain quality.
So here we are again in Westeros at the height of the Targaryen dynasty, 172 years before Game of Thrones. 172 years before Daenerys Targaryen.
The kingdom seems at peace with a relatively stable political situation. However, if we have learned anything from Game of Thrones, this was the calm before the storm.
we quickly watch all the characters being presented as chess pieces in the dangerous game for the throne:
House Targaryens: “Fire and Blood”
- King Viserys I Targaryen (Paddy Considine), a good but weak King struggling to realize the political games being played around him.
- Aemma Arryn (Sian Brooke) the Queen condemned by her duty to produce a male heir.
- Daemon Targaryen (Matt Smith), Viserys Targaryen’s younger brother, and “temporary” heir to the Iron Throne.
- Rhaenys Targaryen (Eve Best) ” The Queen who never was”. Rejected by the lords of Westeros, she lost the opportunity to rule Westeros.
- Rhaenyra Targaryen (Milly Alcock/Emma D’Arcy) princess of the realm and star character of the show.
House Hightower : “We Light the Way”
- Otto Hightower (Rhys Ifans) hand of the King. A character that we learn to quickly mistrust due to his evident manipulation of the King but also because he reminds us of both Tywin Lannister and Littlefinger.
- Alicent Hightower (Emily Carey/Olivia cooke). Daughter of Otto Hightower and best friend of the princess : Rhaenyra Targaryen.
House Velaryon: “The Old, the True, the Brave”
- Corlys Velaryon (Steve Toussaint) master of ships of the royal army as well a husband of the Queen who never was. The most well-known seafarer in Westeros’s history: the sea snake.
Beside these powerful families you have other characters such as Mysaria and Ser Criston Cole. We don’t know much about them but we understand that they will have an impact on the story we are being told.
So what’s HOTD really about ? Well simply speaking it’s about Fire & Blood, the Targaryen and the succession to the throne.
House of the Dragon is political and violent but also beautifully made. It is fast paced and incredibly exiting; full of dragons and wonders. The opening, while using the same soundtrack than its “sequel”, demonstrates the bloodline through the Old Valyrian castle from the first generations of kings to the current one: from Aegon I to Viserys I and his heirs. This gives us a feeling of familiarity while we are experiencing something completely new.
Now I don’t know about you but I did not read the books of George R.R Martin. A shame really, HOWEVER I love having a deeper understanding of the show, review it and make theories about it. Therefore I often seek the help of certain content creator that have a better knowledge of the Lore . I find that they make the experience of watching the show so much more enjoyable! The cherry on top is that I truly admire these people. They are incredible humans who strive to make the fandom a much safer and inclusive space, what else do you need ?
Here is the list of Tiktok content creators that you need to follow:
House of the Dragon Season 1 continues with new episodes every Sunday at 9 p.m. on HBO and HBO Max.